Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fantastic Neighbors

One great thing about living in Thailand is the availability of the Thai people.

Take my neighbors, for instance. If they are at home, you know. Because more often than not they will be outside socializing. Grandmothers will watch their grandchildren play in the street. Dads will take their little ones out for a bicycle ride. Groups of children play marbles or other little games. And when it's meal time, neighbors may even eat outside together. In general, everyone is out and about...all the time.

So you would think I would be out there with them. I have done some hanging out, but in all honesty I have not taken advantage of my friendly little neighborhood. Not like I should, anyway. At first, it was because I didn't know any Thai. But I don't really have that excuse anymore. Sure, my Thai is really basic. But I should get out there more!

This weekend I resolved to do just that. And it was great! I talked to one of my neighbors for so long, she ended up going inside her house to retrieve a mat for the two of us to sit on. We talked about our families, Father's Day (which was yesterday in Thailand), and all sorts of random things. I hope this is just the beginning of many more long afternoon chats.

No comments: