Thursday, November 17, 2005

Loy Kratong: my first big holiday in Thailand

Well, it was no Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I had my first holiday in Thailand! Yesterday was Loy Kratong ("loy" = to float; "kratong" = container), a holiday the Thais celebrate by floating beautiful lotus-shaped objects in the water (see below).

It was so colorful, I couldn't help but take a load of pictures. Enjoy!


Faye with the crowd by the canal. Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Loy Kratong! No matter what the reason or meaning is behind this holiday it certainly is a visual feast. It looks like in addition to someday cooking a Thai dinner for us, you are going to have to include dance lessons. I am so impressed with how fast you are learning the language. I enjoy your pictures and comments - it really helps my understanding to hear first-hand reports.
We continue to pray for you and for God's mission in Thailand.

Tricia G.

Faye said...

Hello Tricia!

I know...aren't you glad we have blogs? It makes it so easy for me to share my experiences with you.

Tricia, you would have loved experiencing Loy Kratong here in Thailand. With you art background, the colors and creativity of it all would have blown you away! Maybe you should think about a visit?! :)

Love,
Faye

Anonymous said...

Faye, What beautiful pictures and delightful experiences. Glad to see and read of the beauty around you. The faces of the people are engaging--even the kid forced to "smile" for the camera. Loy Kratong mirrors the "soul" of all people searching for joy, peace, and hope--the couples hoping their's will float away together!

God's grace will continue to empower you to learn to speak and write the words that will share this joy, peace and hope that we have found in the "eternal life" given to us "freely by Christ". So hang in there and know that so many are praying for you--even today! James

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun....experiencing a new holiday in a foreign country! Those kratongs are beautiful.

That little kid's smile cracked me up! How cute.

I've learned a few things about Thailand reading your blog. You are in our prayers,
Christy (a friend of your mom's in her bell choir)

Anonymous said...

Hey Faye,

It's great to see all the Lord is blessing you with. It's amazing to see the progress in language and relationships.

Susie and I, as well as Sy our 2.5 month old are thinking of you and praying for you.

God Bless,

Anonymous said...

Yay!! That was such a fun photo tour! And I love the word "Kratong"--it sounds like an action. Like, "There goes that frog--" Kratong, kratong, kratong...

Faye, thinking of you and visit your blog often!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are absolutely beautiful and I am sure they don't do justice for the real thing. WHat do they do with the kratongs afterwards? Do they float away or does someone take them out? Just curious!

Hope you are doing well. Bell Fest was wonderful as usual. Your mom really knows how to put on a show!! All the groups did outstanding, but the Nutcracker song took the cake!

Your mom talks about you often, and I was writing to let you know we are all thinking of you. Hurry home, but enjoy yourself too--time will go by sooner than you think.

Have a blessed day!
Jean Ann Lautzenheiser
choir member and wannabe ding-a-ling!