Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sawatdii kha (hello)!

For the first week, all I could say was “hello” in Thai. After a week of language study, I can now introduce myself, buy things in the market, count to 1 million, and talk about school supplies and kitchen items. I can say random sentences like, “I have 3 green pencils and 2 blue pens.” Yeah, it will be a while before I can actually hold a relevant conversation with the people in my neighborhood (not too many are interested in talking with me about office products).

Nonetheless, I’m encouraged about the whole language learning thing. At the moment my motivation to learn is high (pray this continues) and I enjoy my language teacher, Khruu (that’s teacher in Thai) Ann. She’s the kind of person that “recharges” my language learning battery. This is such a good thing, since I spend two hours with her every day, one hour in the morning and another in the afternoon. Even when I’m feeling a bit discouraged, I can go to my one-on-one class with Khruu Ann and feel better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're looking great! I am very impressed that you can already count to a million. I continue to be fascinated with your surroundings. It is a real education about someplace I only know as that country in "The King and I". We continue to pray for you and look forward to your postings.
Tricia G.

Faye said...

Don't be too impressed...I'm quite slow at counting. Khruu Ann writes out numbers for me (like 503,901) and then makes me say the number out loud. It takes forever to get the right words out! She is so patient with me. :)

Thanks for commenting. I love it when people post responses. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of my own first efforts learning Chinese! Such a challenge yet so rewarding when you can put together simple phrases. Hang in there!