
That’s right. You’re not going crazy or having hallucinations. You read that correctly. I’m engaged to be married! Dave Cummings, a fellow missionary to the Shan people and my boyfriend of the past couple months, popped the question last week and I said yes! We’re still playing around with dates for the wedding, so I’ll have to keep you updated on that front. But the bottom line is we plan to be married in less than a year!
So that’s the short version. But if you’re like me, and you enjoy knowing all the juicy details, read on…
It’s hard to know where to begin. Every time I think about ‘my story’ with Dave, I am overwhelmed with awe and joy. Awe at the way God literally dropped Dave into my life. And joy in the knowledge that I’m preparing to live the rest of my life with my best friend.
Though Dave and I met in 2003 (when he was a member of a short-term team I helped train), our story as a couple begins on an island in Southern Thailand just 3 short months ago. We were on vacation with a small group of single missionaries. We had a blast swimming, diving, snorkeling. We ate loads of seafood. And played countless games of rummy and Mexican train. But my favorite times from that vacation were those when I was simply talking with Dave. We talked about everything: family, God, theology, ministry, passions, past relationships, future hopes. You name it, we talked about it. And by the end of the vacation we were a couple.
It took me only one month after that to know Dave was the man I would marry. I mean, I had prayed for someone just like him. Someone who shared my passions for discipleship and missions. Someone who had a heart for the Shan people. I yet even as I prayed, I doubted such a man even existed. And even if he did, and even if God brought him to me…what were the odds that I’d actually get along with this person, be attracted to him, and have it be mutual?!!! It seemed impossible. But that’s exactly what happened. God brought Dave to me. And I’m so thankful!
So, how did Dave propose? Well, it was last Monday (March 23rd) and we were in Chiang Mai following a week-long conference. Dave took me up to the top of this mountain where the Queen of Thailand has a garden. It’s a beautiful spot and a favorite of ours. He had crackers, cheese, grapes, and champagne all set out. The moment I saw the champagne, I knew something was up. I mean, what were we celebrating?
When Dave saw me notice the champagne, he grabbed my hand and said, “Before we drink that, I have a few things I want to say.” Now I wish I could tell you what followed. But seriously, my brain went to complete mush the moment I realized he was about to propose. I know he talked about being amazed at God’s work in our relationship up to this point. And how he wanted to see God continue to work in our lives together forever. Something like that. Followed by some other (I’m sure) really nice things. But, again, it’s all a blur. :) What I do remember is him getting down on one knee, pulling out a ring, and asking me to marry him. I didn’t hesitate for a second. I said, “yes, of course!” And we kissed. And we prayed. It was beautiful.
I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with this man!
So that’s the short version. But if you’re like me, and you enjoy knowing all the juicy details, read on…
It’s hard to know where to begin. Every time I think about ‘my story’ with Dave, I am overwhelmed with awe and joy. Awe at the way God literally dropped Dave into my life. And joy in the knowledge that I’m preparing to live the rest of my life with my best friend.
Though Dave and I met in 2003 (when he was a member of a short-term team I helped train), our story as a couple begins on an island in Southern Thailand just 3 short months ago. We were on vacation with a small group of single missionaries. We had a blast swimming, diving, snorkeling. We ate loads of seafood. And played countless games of rummy and Mexican train. But my favorite times from that vacation were those when I was simply talking with Dave. We talked about everything: family, God, theology, ministry, passions, past relationships, future hopes. You name it, we talked about it. And by the end of the vacation we were a couple.
It took me only one month after that to know Dave was the man I would marry. I mean, I had prayed for someone just like him. Someone who shared my passions for discipleship and missions. Someone who had a heart for the Shan people. I yet even as I prayed, I doubted such a man even existed. And even if he did, and even if God brought him to me…what were the odds that I’d actually get along with this person, be attracted to him, and have it be mutual?!!! It seemed impossible. But that’s exactly what happened. God brought Dave to me. And I’m so thankful!
So, how did Dave propose? Well, it was last Monday (March 23rd) and we were in Chiang Mai following a week-long conference. Dave took me up to the top of this mountain where the Queen of Thailand has a garden. It’s a beautiful spot and a favorite of ours. He had crackers, cheese, grapes, and champagne all set out. The moment I saw the champagne, I knew something was up. I mean, what were we celebrating?
When Dave saw me notice the champagne, he grabbed my hand and said, “Before we drink that, I have a few things I want to say.” Now I wish I could tell you what followed. But seriously, my brain went to complete mush the moment I realized he was about to propose. I know he talked about being amazed at God’s work in our relationship up to this point. And how he wanted to see God continue to work in our lives together forever. Something like that. Followed by some other (I’m sure) really nice things. But, again, it’s all a blur. :) What I do remember is him getting down on one knee, pulling out a ring, and asking me to marry him. I didn’t hesitate for a second. I said, “yes, of course!” And we kissed. And we prayed. It was beautiful.
I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with this man!

16 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We're so excited for you -- and Dave too!
That was me -- Joey
Congrats!!! That's a wonderful news! Send my regards to Dave pls! - Vincent Lai (Singapore)
P.S I sent dave an email quite sometime ago, yet hear anything from him? What happen???
CONGRATS! So happy for you! God is amazing!
We are all soooo happy for you. Of course your mom has been keeping me posted on the events of the last couple of months, but I glad to see the official announcement on your blog. (Your dad was beaming when he told about the phone call from Dave.) We are looking forward to your return & getting to meet Dave. If he has become your best friend he must be someone very, very special!
Tell him to get ready to party when he gets to Texas!
Tricia G.
Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE THE LORD for such a SWEET testimony of grace! And thanks for sharing the "juicy" stuff too -absolutely beautiful!!!! With MUCH love!
Congrats to Faye and Dave! Woo hoo!
Congratulations - what an amazing and beautiful story!
Love and Blessings!
CONGRATULATIONS
We're so excited for you guys. We'll have to go back to Miguel's in the near future to celebrate :) We were planning to go today (cinco de mayo) but forgot.
Congratulations, Faye! This is wonderful news.
I "thought" that vacation picture of you and Dave looked a wee bit cozy...;D J/K.
We are totally stoked for you! I'll be praying for you as you prepare to start a new chapter in your lives. If you have any questions about surviving the trials and tribulations of marriage, feel free to contact us! We're 12 years and going strong..snicker...Lisa, Paxton, Hope, and #2 somewhere in China
Oh Faye we are so happy for you! Congratulations. Your engaement story is so beautiful and it is wonderful how God was at the center.
not sure if you remember me faye but it's christina ng from toronto. i was in lopbhuri w/ you guys (beth too) about a year and a half ago. just wanted to say congratulations and say that God has been amazing in your lives. he has been real in your life and looks like he will continue to be...who-hoo!!!!!!!
Oh my goodness, what wonderful news! I'm so, so, happy for you Faye...what an amazing journey this has been for you! I loved reading your story, and so glad you shared it on your blog. We think about you often and I am so excited to see you so very happy...enjoy every moment...much love...Karen (Claire and Jon too!)
We can't wait for you two to join us in Austin, and will be praying for your time in Thailand and Burma--that God would continue to do disproportionate things through and in you both.
Well, it's a little late, but contragulations!
Post a Comment