
Me and the teachers (L-R: front row: Khruu Wi, Khruu Tuk, Khruu Tum, and Khruu Ann; back row: Khruu Awd, Khruu Wan, and Faye)

Stick a fork in me, folks...I'm done! As of today, I have successfully completed my first year of language study. Today was my big check (exam) and it went really, really well!!!
As great as the langauge check was, I woke up this morning with some serious doubts about my ability to do well. Not because I hadn't prepared, because I had. I studied. More importantly, I've been pretty good about using my Thai regularly throughout this past year. My doubts came from the fact that I arrived to school completely sleep deprived.
Yep, last night I got virtually zero sleep. Why? Because my air conditioner decided to stop working...and we are in the middle of the hot season. Hot season + no air con = no sleep for Faye. And those of you who really know me, know I enjoy my sleep. You could say I'm a nine-hours-of-sleep-a-night kind of girl.
So I came to school with burning, blood-shot eyes...feeling like I didn't have it in me to comprehend anything whatsoever, much less speak in Thai. But I was able to share my doubts and fears with my teacher, Khruu Tum, during our practice session. She encouraged me to trust God with my doubts. Then she prayed for me.
It's the little moments like these that make me so thankful for the language school in Lopburi. Those of us with OMF are truly blessed to have great Thai language teachers, many of whom are Christian and often minister to us more than we minister to them.

10 comments:
Congratulations, Faye! I'm so sorry that your last module check was executed under sleep deprived conditions. But doing well in that situation is a testimony to your discipline and dedication all year long. We're so very proud of you & cannot WAIT to see you soon! We love you!!
Mom
Hey Faye! I love reading/seeing pictures of your many exciting adventures! How wonderful that you're coming back to the states to visit! We'll pray for safe travels!
Shelly Compton :)
Dear Faye,
Congratulations on passing your last language check. My husband, Charles, likes to study Chinese, and says it is incredibly difficult to speak well. It also has those high, middle, and low tones that we westerners don't use in English. Isn't it amazing how God brings us what we need to do His work? Bless your dear teacher for her encouragement. Maybe I will see you at FUMC Round Rock when you are back in Texas.
Wishing you the best,
Claudia Ford
Wonderful news, Faye! We are so proud of you...what's next?
Congratulations! Wow, what an amazing year. I can't even imagine beginning to learn a language like Thai. We are all looking forward to seeing you next week and hearing your stories. (Maybe even some Thai).
Praying for safe travel,
Tricia Gossett
Thanks, everyone, for the congratulations.
Mom, Shelly, Claudia, and Tricia...
I look forward to seeing you all soon (less than a week from now, can you believe it)!
Jonathan...
As for what's next...
I'll go home for a little visit, spending most of my time in Texas. But I'm also making a quick stop in California to attend Aimee Valley's wedding (did you ever meet her at Gordon Conwell?). Once returning to Thailand, Beth, Lilli, and I will be moving into the tiny Shan village of Sop Soi...just 10 minutes outside of Maehongson. The main goal will be to learn Shan, build relationships with the villagers, and be an encouragement to the 3 existing Shan believer who live near by. We (along with the Shan Christians in Napajat) are praying for a church to be planted there.
Congrats Faye! Continuing to pray for you...
You going to be near San Jose, CA at all? :)
- Joey
CONGRATULATIONS FAYE!!!!
And thank you for all the pictures. For me that was really special...to see familiar faces once again.
I am praying for you.
helen henry
Faye,
Congrats!! Good job! We'll be excited to see you move into the next phase of life in the village.
You said Khruu Tum prayed for you -- is that a change for her?? Just curious.
Remember, if you need a place to stay in CM you are always welcome!
In Christ,
Pam, for all the boys too!
OK - ignore the Khruu Tum comment -- sorry but the brain wasn't working for a minute! :)
Pam
Post a Comment