I realized it the moment it happened. The front tire of my motorbike blew out as I rounded the corner about a block away from my neighborhood. What else could I do but walk my bike home? A few of my neighbors were gathered outside. When they saw me approach they asked, "What happened?" "I have a flat tire," I replied, "Do you know the closest place for me to get it fixed?"
But they didn't answer my question. They told me not to worry, to park my bike, and sit down next to them. I've learned not to ask too many questions in situations such as this. I simply did as told and relaxed. Meanwhile, one of them hopped on his motorbike. A few minutes later he returned announcing help was on its way. Sure enough, a minute later help arrived in the form of a little man on a tiny blue bicycle.

Mr. Fix-it arrives on a teeny-tiny bicycle

As you can see, he was wearing purple corduroy shorts and a black mesh t-shirt (I got a kick out of his outfit). He arrived equipped with tools and a pump. And, yes, his bicycle has a single yellow flower standing proudly atop his steering wheel-like handle bar. It was such a sight, I had to take a picture.
Ten minutes after his arrival, I had a new tire. It cost me all of 100 baht. That's $2.50 to those of you in the States. Talk about service!

6 comments:
Faye, we wanted to send you an e-mail but seem to have misplaced your address. Can you send it to us via: widmanclan@gmail.com ?
Glad to see you are doing well and enjoying Thailand.
Susanna Widman
Wow! Faster than AAA and a style setter to boot! I think the culture shock may come when you are back in the USA and can't get such quick & friendly service. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It continues to fascinate and amaze me.
May God continue to bless you and your mission.
Tricia G.
Faye,
I laughed so hard when I read this post. Definitely a Kodak moment! Thanks for posting your prayer requests. Heidi and I continue to pray for you and your ministry.
We also have some wicked good news...Heidi and I are having baby! We're due sometime in January. We're psyched! God is good, and we are trusting in him as the Author of life.
I'm glad you all got a kick out it, too.
Tricia...did you hear I'm coming home for a short visit this summer? Yeah!
And Josh...that's great news about a baby on the way! Praise God!
Hearing and seeing your adventures in another culture makes me ache to be on the mission field! I suppose we'll have to wait our baby is a bit older (like born)
*sigh* God's timing.
You are still in our prayers!
great story1
Post a Comment